A post titled, 5 Valuable Lessons I Learnt From My Parents inspired me to look within myself, and make a list of the parenting lessons I had learned from my own parents. The process of recollection made me realize how much I have been using the parenting tactics that my mom and dad used to raise me–a few of which I had issues with before. My mom was right when she said that children will never really understand their parents until they become parents themselves.
Now that I am a parent myself, I am beginning to see how great my parents were. Below are 5 of the best lessons I learned from them growing up under their love and care:
1. A child’s spiritual formation is primarily in the hands of their parents.
2. Children learn more from what they see from you than from what they hear from you.
3. Giving kids chores helps them become more responsible adults.
4. Family dinners are VERY important.
5. Never underestimate the power of a well-chosen few words.
So there they are. How about you? What are the parenting lessons you got from your own parents? Leave me a comment, I’d love to hear from you!